Sunday, February 2, 2014

Week 2: Jan. 27th - Feb. 2nd

Day 11: Tuesday, Jan. 28th
I went to visit Landon today after my doctor appointment, and he seemed to have calmed down a bit from last night.  They had to stop feedings last night, but hope to start them again tonight.  He is down to 1lb 6oz from normal fluid fluctuations.  We've been able to hear his tiny little cry ever since they took out his breathing tube, and he has a teeny little preemie binky that he sucks on to help him calm down when he's agitated. The doctor says he is a "bit of a wild child" and the nurses call him "feisty" because he's been throwing a lot of tantrums flailing his limbs and crying.  They say it's a good sign of neurological development, but it makes me sad when he's so upset and I feel like there's nothing I can do to comfort him.  He might also be still adjusting to not being on the ventilator any longer and that could be agitating him. He seems to like it when I put one hand on his head and one on his feet with a little bit of pressure.

I watched him have his first sponge bath on the web cam tonight.  He looked like he thoroughly did not enjoy himself, and he cried and flailed the whole time.  When the nurse wrapped him up at the end, he fell asleep sucking on his hand.  He is truly the sweetest and most precious thing I've ever seen. 

Day 12: Wednesday, Jan. 29th
I got to hold my baby skin-to-skin for the first time tonight.  It seems like he is always so agitated when we come to see him, so the respiratory therapist said I could hold him since he was awake and bugged already.  She said it would probably help to calm him down.  The nurse brought him and all of his wires over to me and laid him on my chest with his little feet tucked down into my tank top.  This was the first time I got to feel my baby's skin against mine.  In that moment, there was only him and me. Nothing else mattered.  I felt complete again for the first time since they took him out of me.  He curled up on my chest, cried a bit, then he settled down and fell right asleep.  The nurse put a warm blanket over him.  It was the sweetest thing.

1st time holding Landon skin-to-skin













Day13:Thursday, Jan. 30th
Landon weighed 1lb 9oz at his weigh-in last night.  They are hoping to increase his feedings tomorrow, and the goal for right now is to get him to full feedings so that they can get the PICC line out of him.  His PICC line is an IV that goes all the way to his heart to give him his parenteral nutrition and lipids, and he has had it since his umbilical lines were taken out. It is also a source for possible infections to enter in little ones though, so it is important to get it out as soon as possible.

He is starting to look less wrinkly and to fill out more.  I just wish there was more that I could do for him.  He is so tiny and fragile and innocent.

Day 14: Friday, Jan. 31st
I got to change Landon's diaper for the first time today. The little preemie diapers are too big for him, so the top has to be folded down below his belly button.





























Day 15: Saturday, Feb. 1st
I got to hold Landon skin-to-skin again tonight.  I love holding him so much! Mike held him in his isolette for the first time tonight.  He wore gloves to hold him and said he was lighter than he thought he would be.

















Day 16: Sunday, Feb. 2nd
We didn't get to stay long visiting Landon today because I got nauseous in the NICU while I was pumping and ended up throwing up multiple times.  So, we ended up leaving early.  I think that all of the medicines I am on combined with the pain from my surgery and my lack of rest just combined for the perfect storm.  Before we left, we found out that his feedings were increased to 5mL every 4 hours -- that is 1/6 of an ounce-- I'm so happy that he is tolerating his feedings so well.  I can't wait for him to be on full feedings and have his PICC line taken out. 


No comments:

Post a Comment